The History Behind The Dome of the Rock

 

The Dome of the Rock, also known as Qubbat as-Sakhrah, in Jerusalem is a holy place for Muslims, Christians and Jews. It is considered to be one of the oldest Islamic buildings built by Abd al-Malik between 687 and 691 and where Jews believe Abraham offered Isaac as a sacrifice. Christians hold it to be the biblical Temple of Solomon. 

Due to the Israeli occupation, it has become more difficult for Palestinians to visit the Dome of the Rock. 

The building had faced many damages in the past and last major rebuilding was done in 1035. According to Encyclopedia Britannica, the dome was replaced with a new gold covering in the 20th century as many portions of the dome had been damaged.

Dome of the rock

The external portion of the shrine has an octagonal shape with embedded marbles and a mosaic designed implemented into it, the same technique found in Byzantine public buildings and churches. The outer octagonal area of the building also contains Quranic inscriptions and the inner area has a lush red colour to it. 

There have been many modifications performed on the dome of the rock. One such example comes from the ceiling. The carved ceiling in the interior portion of the octagonal exterior was not part of the original design of this architecture. This change was done in the 14th century and its motif is known to be the Mamluk star.star

star

Mamluk star (Flicker/Spanaut)

 


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published